To see inside photo's from our employees please visit this link: Blackmer/Dixon
In 1820, John Fulton constructed the home located at 112 S Fulton Street Salisbury NC the street on which would later be named after him.
In 1931, the home was purchased by Sidney Blackmer and renovated extensively. There was substantial structural work done due to termites and rot damage over the years. Blackmer divorced his wife whom he had purchased the home with and married Suzanne Kaaren, who was an actress. The couple resided at the Fulton, Mock, Blackmer home, and after he died she continued to live there.
In December of 1984 the home was burned by a fire started by kerosene heater or a log rolling from the fire place. It was a terrible fire that burned the roof off, gutted the upstairs and burned a lot of the structure on two sides. At that time the Historic Salisbury Foundation came in and intervened, they provided the funds to install roof trusses and shingles to preserve what was left of the structure, Ed Norvell oversaw the project. The home sat vacant for three to four years, the building was deemed unstable by the City of Salisbury and condemned because of complaints. The city had all intentions of demolishing the structure.
Late in the fall of 1989, Suzanne Blackmer contacted Alfred Wilson to ask him to contract with her to stabilize and secure the home, and if resources allowed to completely restore the residence. Mrs. Blackmer, was familiar with Alfred Wilson because his father was the band director at Boyden High School here in Salisbury from 1959-1971. While director, he produced high quality professional musicals using the students of the high school. The students worked with professional musicians and choreographers, Mr. Wilson enlisted the talents of Sidney and Suzanne Blackmer. Sidney was a Tony Award winning actor in New York. Many of the people who worked beside of them are still remembered today. Mr. Wilson agreed but when he attempted to pull permits it was very difficult. The city had condemned and was on the path of demolishing the home. After contentious meetings with city council and finally receiving a permit he began work on the home to stabilize it. In 1989, he went in and replaced rotten sills on the house, installed a new foundation on the front, stabilized the structure and secured the roof. He then replaced the burned siding, painted the house, painted and placed closed shutters on the windows that had burned out. The house was secure and stable when he left in the spring of 1990.
In 2012, the Historic Salisbury Foundation was able to purchase the home from Jonathon Blackmer, Suzanne Blackmer’s son. The volunteers from the foundation partnered with Central Piedmont Construction to do repair work to the back porch, kitchen area, to repair the windows, and painted the home. They placed the home on the October Tour of Homes in 2013. The home was placed on the market to find an owner. In December of 2013 the home was purchased by Beth and Glenn Dixon, the Dixon’s contracted with Alfred C Wilson and Company shortly after to restore the home to the original grandeur.
Suzanne Blackmer's Protest Fence
Two large Victorian houses near Innes Street were demoished to make way for Citizens Savings and Loan Association. Suzanne constructed a protest fence along the property line, using sheets and linens. By doing so, she held her ground against further intrusion into her neighborhood.
Some Interesting Information Links:
The Fulton Mock Blackmer House, a ruined yet proud house standing in the West Ward on the residental avenue named for its builder, has been a landmark in Salisbury for 192 years. During that period the landscape of Salisbury has changed dramtically, reflecting the arrival of the North Carolina Railroad, the upbuilding of Spencer Shops and the nearby town of the same name, the expansion of a prosperous textile industry, the prominence of two important colleges, and the continuing evolution of a city. Today the Fulton Mock Blackmer House is and its contemporaries -- the Hall House, the Utzman-Chambers House, St Luke's Episcopal Church, and the restored Lombardy-- survive and recall an early period of prosperity and promise. The earliest buildings now standing in the city, they are evidence of their time and the first maturation of a place thaat was set apart and named in 1775. The Fulton Mock Blackmer House entered the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 when the Salisbury Historic District was listed.
The FIRE of 1984
This fire on December 1, 1984 caused major damage to the house.
A You Tube Video that was posted after a Yard Sale at the Blackmer Home. Watch Here Salisbury Post